Water is an essential part of our lives. Water covers 70% of the Earth's surface. It makes up around 60% of our bodies. Everything needs water to grow and the quality of water is incredibly important to our health and well being.
With the lead crisis in cities across the US, water quality is a very real concern for many. Unhealthy water could cause severe issues in persons with compromised immune systems.
Here in Monroe County, we get our drinking water from Lake Monroe, via the Monroe Water Treatment Plant. The MWTP filters and cleans the water from the lake through a conventional settling/filtration system that has several levels of disinfection before distributing it to the citizens of Monroe County.
But we can help and below are the ways in which we can help keep our water clean.
1. Do not dispose of medications or chemicals down the toilet or drains. According to bitterpill.in.gov Bloomington has two unwanted medication take-back locations: IU Bloomington Hospital Lobby (601 W 2nd) and the east side CVS location (2701 E 3rd St).
2. Pick up after your pets. Fido doesn't know how to use a porcelain throne, so properly disposing of his waste is up to you.
3. If using fertilizers/pesticides, follow the manufacturer's guidelines to avoid run-off.
4. Wash your car at a car wash. So much faster than doing it myself!
5. Don't put anything down storm drains.
6. When possible, use non-toxic household products.
If you are concerned about the quality of your water, give us a call today to schedule a water test (888-400-2740).
Now, go grab an ice cold glass of water and refresh your mind, body and soul with the greatness that is water.