top of page

Carbon Monoxide and Home Inspections


Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced when fuels such as gas, oil, or wood are burned. It is toxic to humans and can be a serious safety hazard if it builds up in a home.


During a home inspection, the inspector will check for the presence of carbon monoxide and identify any potential gas sources. Here are a few things the inspector may check for:


Proper ventilation: The inspector will check to ensure that appliances that produce CO, such as furnaces and water heaters, are properly ventilated to the outside of the home.


Carbon monoxide detectors: The inspector will check to see if there are working carbon monoxide detectors in the home and ensure that they are properly placed.


Gas leaks: The inspector will check for any gas leaks that can be a carbon monoxide source.


If the inspector identifies any issues related to carbon monoxide during the inspection, they may recommend repairs or further evaluation.


There are also a few things homeowners can do to ensure carbon monoxide safety in their homes:


  • Install carbon monoxide detectors: Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on every level of the home and near any appliances that produce CO.


  • Have appliances inspected and maintained: Appliances that produce CO, such as furnaces and water heaters, should be inspected and maintained regularly to ensure that they are functioning properly and not producing excess CO.


  • Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, nausea, and fatigue. If you experience these symptoms, leave home immediately and call 911.


By following these steps, you can help ensure carbon monoxide safety in your home and protect yourself and your family from the dangers of this toxic gas.



Comments


bottom of page